Typing speed test or usually typing test used for measure a user's typing speed and accuracy.
Tip: For take a typing test in mobile phone connect your mobile to keyboard with a OTG cable.
What is a Typing Test
A typing test is the measurement of typing skills in terms of speed (Word Per Minute) and accuracy on computer keyboard. Typing test score also measure in Keystroke or Key depression per minutes (KPM). Usually a passage is given to candidate for type in a fixed time duration.
Typing test evaluation is done by matching the given passage with user typed passage and find out errors. The final WPM score is calculated using a mathematical formula.
How to take Typing Test
01. You should sit in the right posture on the computer before start typing test.
02. You can select desired time duration like 1,2,5,10,15,20, or 30 minutes and passage of your choice. Click on "Start Test" button.
03. You will see a passage appear on upper side of screen and the first word is highlighted in Green color.
04. As you press first key from keyboard your test countdown timer will start.
05. As you typed a word and press space bar, the word highlighter will moves to next word.
06. After completion of time or you click on result button, you will see test score in Net Word Per Minute and Accuracy.
07. Along with typing score in terms of speed and accuracy a complete analysis of your typing skill will be displayed on screen like - How many words and character you have typed, details of various typed of errors you have made during test. So you can analyze what are the characters and words you have typed wrong during test, you can do targeted practice for erroneous characters.
08. If you qualify certain criteria you can get a free Typing Certificate too.
09. You have option to take test with backspace disable or enabled and you can enable/disable highlighter and scrolling too.
10. You should take test again and again to improve your typing skill.
Best practices for typing test
1. Sit in correct posture while taking a test.
2. If you are using a laptop than you should use a external keyboard for taking test.
3. To type a capital letter use the shift key instead of Caps lock.
4. To type numbers use number bar above alphabets instead of Num pad.
5. Type special characters using shortcut keys.
Calculation of typing score
The two factors will define the proficiency of the person in typing. Some typing test used character based calculation in which 5 characters count as a word, regardless how many characters in the particular word. These Character based calculation has its own benefit like it independent from the text passage, there may be more lengthy word in one passage then other, but its calculate same speed all time.
Some typing test used another calculation speed formula; it counts each bunch of characters separated by space one word. This is known as word count method for typing test. To understand it let take an example:
A Sentence "Here we are checking our typing speed."
Total Words (Using character methods) = 38 / 5 = 7.6 Words (space also count as a character)
Total Words (Using Word method) = 7 words
In this typing test above we have used second method to calculate word count. In many exam there are fix word limit like 300 Words have to type within 10 minutes. Usually 2nd method used for calculation of word, separated by space.
The typing test above will show your typing speed in Word per Minute (WPM). Accuracy is gross and net speed ratio. Net Speed will consider your final speed of typing. Here a highlighter will help you in identify where you are in the passage. If you skip a word it will show in result that you skipped a word. And if you double typed a word it will also shown separately.
Here you can choose passage of your choice for typing test. You can also select desired time duration for test. Let’s take a test and improve your typing skill.